Forum Discussion

PoojaDwivedi-4d
Community Member
8 months ago

Triggers not working

I've incorporated a custom next button into the storyline, implementing disabled and visited states. On a specific slide, I aim for users to explore multiple layers before enabling the next button.

To explore various layers, users can click on rectangles. I've introduced two states for the rectangles:

1. Hover state: When users hover over the rectangles, the outline will change to white.
  2. Visited state: After clicking a rectangle and visiting the associated layer, the rectangle will change to grey.

However, the functionality of both the 'Next' button and the Visited state of the rectangle is not functioning as intended.

• Based on your description and the image of the trigger, it looks like it should work. In other words, it's virtually impossible to troubleshoot without seeing the .story file. Here are the best practices for uploading that:

• Only include slides that are involved in the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text. 
  • There are a few issues:

• The interaction uses Groups as buttons. A Group doesn't have states. Yes, the objects in the Group can have states, but that's harder to control. You don't need multiple objects for your buttons. One rectangle is all you need.
      • You can enter text directly in any shape. Just double-click the shape, and type your text.
      • You can give the shape a outline. 
      • You can reformat the shape (such as changing the outline and fill) in any state. 
    • The interaction has triggers that duplicate what the built-in functionality does. 
      • When an object has a Hover state, it will automatically change to that state when the user mouses over it. And when there is a Visited state, it will automatically change to that state when the user clicks it. 

Together, those issues usually cause problems.

The first slide in the attached file is like your slide, but with the following changes: 

• Groups have been replaced by one rectangle each. 
      • I also gave these meaningful names. That helps with troubleshooting. If you ever upload a .story file, its objects should have meaningful names, too. 
    • All the triggers for changing to Hover or Visited have been deleted. 
    • I deleted the Hotspot from the background. As far as I can tell, it isn't used for anything.