Forum Discussion

MartyHlavacek
Community Member
2 months ago

Text to Speech voice changed and doesn't match.

I am updating a SL course that was built about 2 yrs ago and am not the original designer. I  was asked to import a few new slides with narration. The original speaker was Kendra, and when I use her to read the text, her voice has changed. Looking for suggestions.

I'm adding 3 slides to a 44 slide SL course. 

Thanks, Marty

• Hey Marty,

Kendra has two options: Standard and Neural and they do sound slightly different. Does your view of the TTS voices look like this where you can see both voices? If not, make sure your Storyline 360 is up to date. For older versions, you may only be seeing the Neural version of Kendra, but Articulate recently reintroduced the Standard voices.

• Hi Elizabeth. My version (it's the newest) shows both voice options like yours. I have some older slides which need text updating and then a few slides that are new. Are you thinking I can just update those to match the others by picking the older voice and they should match? It was suggested to re-do all of the text to speech in the whole SL. Thanks...I haven't dealt with this and newer to the issue.
    Marty

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Marty,

Editing your existing text-to-speech audio files and selecting the Kendra voice should update all of them to sound the same. To edit your existing text-to-speech files, right-click on the file in the timeline then select Text-to-Speech.

Try doing a simple edit and save to see if this helps!

MartyHlavacek
        Community Member

Hi Jose, thanks for the quick response.
        Will the update work for the wave files already in the SL? I was told that
        because the text is gone for those slides, if I change the voice, there
        isn't text for it to read off of and I would have to reinsert the text, for
        each slide, then switch the voice.
        Marty

• Hi Steven, when I go to an existing (already recorded in original file) there is no text anymore...it's now a wave file? with the only option is to paste "new text". I'm newer to SL, so not sure if I'm missing something. 

Here is the action box I get when opening the current audio files:
    I select Replace Audio and then Text to Speech. When the Insert Text to Speech opens, I can only Type or Paste a script...there is no text there for me to change the voice choices.

image.png
    And when I select Replace Audio, I then select Text to Speech. From their I only have the option to Insert Text to Speech, there is no text from the audio file already in there.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Marty!

Thanks for following up!

It would be easier to troubleshoot if we could see the .story file you've been working with, as well as a screen recording of the behavior. I've opened a support case on your behalf and sent you an e-mail containing an upload link you can use to share those files privately.

We can continue the conversation through your case to keep all information in one spot.

Looking forward to hearing from you!