Forum Discussion

KaiDean
Community Member
2 years ago

Change video resolution based on bandwidth

We produce content which is translated into up to 42 languages. Inevitably, some of these countries have poor bandwidth. We have had a comment from our client about some video taking longer to load etc. in areas with restrictive bandwidth. Back when I used to produce content in Flash, I could check the bandwidth of the end-user and based on that information, serve up the appropriate resolution video for them (just like YouTube does now).

Does anyone know of a way this can be achieved without duplicating the actual Storyline content (ie. duplicating the file and inserting a lower resolution video file for low bandwidth areas)? Obviously I know the videos will need to be produced in a selection of resolutions but my goal is to have one Storyline file which can provide the end-user the best user experience based on their bandwidth. 

• With Javascript it is possible to detect the bandwidth and replace any embedded content with lower res if needed.

KaiDean
    Community Member

But there is nothing built into Storyline? I am happy to use Javascript but most of my team do not have the experience.

MathNotermans-9
      Community Member

If you build a good reusable template with Javascript most teammembers should be able to use it. Quite some of the users on this forum just copy and paste ;-)

• Hi Kai,

As Math eluded to, currently, change a video's resolution based on bandwidth in Storyline. This would be a great idea for a feature request! You can submit one here. If the request makes it onto our feature roadmap, we’ll make sure to update you in this conversation!

Thanks for reaching out!

• you could use Vimeo for the videos*, then you have adaptive streaming for the videos (360p ... 4k)

* with web object or "Video from website"

note: unfortunately this is not an option for learners in china (without VPN), because of the great firewall

KaiDean
    Community Member

Thanks all. I will build a Javascript proof of concept