Forum Discussion

MichaelWest
Community Member
2 months ago

Using variables to Change State of button when timeline starts doesn't seem to be working

I'm having a devil of a time trying to get this to work.

Six buttons on a slide. Learners will click a button to open up a lightbox slide . Once all of the lightboxes have been reviewed, the learner will return to the menu page to reveal a "continue" button to move on to another slide.

I have a T/F variable for each button. When the learner selects a button, the respective lightbox opens up, and the corresponding variable is changed from "False" to "True." When all six variables equal "True," the "continue" button should appear upon revisiting the menu slide.

Alas, I cannot get it to work. I've tried using the triggers on the menu buttons (which is how it is set up currently), as well as using the triggers when each lightbox is closed.

I've done this a million times, but I can't figure out what I'm missing here. 

Test File is attached, just in case anyone wants to get crazy.

• The trigger to change the button to Normal is set to run when the timeline starts on the slide. Because the other slides are lightboxed, the user never really leaves the Resources slide. Its timeline is paused when each lightbox opens, and the timeline continues when the lightbox is closed. But the timeline can't start again if the user doesn't leave the slide. (You can see this happening with the seekbar.)

Because the user doesn't leave the Resources slide, there's a simple way to track that they've clicked each button: Give each button a Visited state. Then change the Continue button to Normal when all of the buttons = Visited. That's been done in the attached file. 

You don't need the variables at all, unless the tracking is also used on another slide.