Forum Discussion

KrisShenenbe782
Community Member
3 months ago

Javascript with Text Entry Fields Help

Hi all. I'm new to javascript and have inherited a project that I'm having trouble with, especially with Jaws. 

When a learner lands on a slide, this is what should happen:

• Text entry field is enabled.
  • Learner types in field, presses enter to get feedback.
    • 1st incorrect entry, gives try again feedback and focus goes back to text entry field when layer is closed.
    • 2nd incorrect entry, gives feedback and the Continue button goes to next slide.
    • Correct entry goes to next slide.

I've attached a few slides from the original project. It seems like there may be more triggers than necessary, but I'm not sure. Would anyone have time to take a look at the triggers and help me make changes, if necessary? 

I also need help with making it properly readable with Jaws, but one step at a time. Thank you so much!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Kris,

I'm not in front of my computer so can't check out your story file. 

However, the desired scenario you are describing sounds quite straightforward and might even be an inbuilt Storyline feature! (Text entry graded question)

But am I right on saying that what you need is for the text entry field to "have focus" as soon as the slide starts? I.e. when the slide starts, the user can immediately start typing in to the text field without first clicking the text field?

• Hi there. I wasn't clear in my message. It's reading the text entry field. What's happening is on the first slide it reads the text and text entry field. When user types the correct text, the activity goes to the next slide and it just goes right to the text entry field. It doesn't read the text that's before the field. I can't figure out why. Also, it looks like I forgot to include the commands to type so you can test it out:

1. logi
    2. admin2
    3. 0000
    4. ld 2 (lowercase "l" and this is the last slide)
  • Hmm. It didn't work. I've attached a screen recording of our accessibility tester reading the project with Jaws. It should read the steps on the left, the green text, and then the text entry box. You can see that our tester had to go searching for the text on Step 2. It's not reading the page like it should.

• I focused on the "When a learner lands on a slide, this is what should happen..." section and specifically on the Login slide. However, I'm unable to test this with JAWS. I noticed that JAWS reads all steps correctly on the Login slide but not on the subsequent slides. What could be different? Have you tried using another screen reader or similar software to see if the issue persists?

• I really didn't do a great job explaining my problem. When I first posted, I thought it was the javascript that was breaking the reading order. It's behaving the same way with NVDA. I opened a support ticket with Articulate to try to get it resolved. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me!

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Kris!

Glad to see the community has been helping you!

Smart move on opening a support case as well. I see that my teammate Robby is currently testing your file. He should be following up with you shortly! We can continue the conversation through your case to keep all information in one spot.