Forum Discussion

ChristineBey911
Community Member
14 days ago

How to present a large amount of terms

Teaching a large amount of terms and conditions for a pre-licensing class in Storyline.  I need suggestions as to how to present this much information.  Glossary, or other suggestions?

• I am currently working on a project where I have about 15 terms and doing it in RISE but also didn't want to just use the accordion. I am adding a Storyline block in with a 9 rectangle grid, and then each one will flip to a full layer of content (as the definitions are long) with a x in top right to close it and return to the grid.  The grid rectangles visited state will change.  I will probably build two blocks.  I worry it may be too much of selecting the x to close them but those are my thoughts.  So, I welcome ideas as well :)

• As is often the answer: It depends. 

How familiar are the learners be with the terms? For example, are they likely to know the terms? Will they perhaps have encountered some of them? Or will the terms be completely new to them? 

A more important question: how will they use the terms in the future? I think showing them how they'll need to use the terms would be more impactful than simply presenting a glossary. For example, if there are two terms that are often confused, you could present a scenario in which the user has to choose which term to use. 

On the other hand, if there's a licensing exam that requires them to match terms with definitions, you could set up tests for that. For example, if you search the community, you'll find Matching games that might work for you.

ChristineBey911
      Community Member

Yes, it's a licensing exam. The 21 terms have to be taught word-for-word.  I'll also do a quiz interaction, but it's how to present 21 terms and conditions!  It's a lot of text.  

TeresaVanderpos
      Community Member

I realized they gave me some example/scenarios as well for my long one, so that should help.    Thanks ChristineBey911 for posting as I am finding this helpful for me in my own situation :)

• I had the same issue with a huge number of acronyms. I ended up breaking them up into several fun games. One was a word search, matching cards... I even created a "walk" through an airport that would reveal signs that the learner had to flip. In this instance, I believe the "chunking" option of delivery is best. Just don't put them all in one activity.

• Can these terms be divided into groups. If yes, I would divide them into small groups then knowledge test of each group. 

Sometimes you need a lot of text, or you can show a picture of with audio.