Forum Discussion

luigizirpoli
Community Member
3 hours ago

How to Block a SCORM on Clients' LMS Platform

HEllo,
one of our clients has asked us to include a type of restriction within the SCORM files (which we produce on their behalf using Storyline 360 and Rise 360) to prevent the SCORM from being played on their clients' platform once the license has expired.

Could you advise on the best way to proceed?

I'm pretty sure this type of control is not available through the built-in features of Articulate authoring tools (but please correct me if I’m wrong) and instead might be achieved by editing the SCORM after publishing. Specifically, by inserting custom JavaScript code that compares the current date with a predefined expiry date, and if the current date exceeds the expiry date, the SCORM package will display a warning message or block the course from progressing.

My concern is that using custom JavaScript in this way might be blocked by the clients' LMS platforms or could be limited or disabled by future browser updates.

Another possibility I’m considering is using cloud-based services (like SCORM Cloud) to host the SCORM files, which could then be accessed via a link or embed from the clients' platforms, so that when the license expires, it would be sufficient to modify the cloud service access.

Once again, I would appreciate your advice.

Please let me know if you need any further information. Thank you!

luigizirpoli
    Community Member

Thank you for the response.

Thanks to ChatGPT, I already have an idea for a possible JavaScript code to manage the expiration date, but I’m interested in knowing what the potential downsides might be of adding custom JavaScript code within a SCORM package. For example, is there a risk that the code might stop functioning correctly after updates to the LMS platform or browsers?

• As at the moment i only have mobile access, i cannot show a fully working sample. But here some dummycode that gives you a headstart.

var end = new Date('2024-11-01');

var now = new Date();

if (end - now <= 0) { 

/*here you show a layer locking progress, or a blocker or even completely close the Windows*/

• Some LMS's offer an expiration date for content. If your clients LMS doesnot has this, you can use javascript to check for the currentDate and close/lockdown or block the course when a specific date is passed.