Forum Discussion

ShannonWalshe-8
Community Member
4 days ago

Embedded Storyline in Rise 360 Accessibility Issues

Hi all,

Hoping you might be able to help - when I embed a storyline interaction into my rise 360 courses it seems that screen readers aren't able to pick up any of the text. I've tried turning the 'accessible text' function on but it doesn't make any difference and I've tried two different screen readers with no success. I feel like I must be missing something obvious... any help is very appreciated!

• Hi Shannon!

It's hard to know without seeing your Rise course and the Storyline file that has the interaction in it but it could be a few things:

• The text boxes in Storyline need to be visible to assistive devices (when you right click on them and go to Accessibility, is the box checked?) 
    • If the text boxes are just text, keep in mind that once you're in the Storyline interaction, navigating through the text is done using the up/down arrow keys. 
    • The screen reader might be getting confused on if it should be in browse mode or focus mode. Browse Mode: Browse mode is used when reading documents or web pages. Focus Mode: Focus mode is used when the user enters a form or other fields that require user input. NVDA automatically switches between Browse and Focus modes, but the user can toggle them using Insert + Space Bar. Try toggling then pressing your up/down keys to see if that solves it.