Forum Discussion

GemzNunn-8413ea
Community Member
5 months ago

Zoom-to-fit - intermittent issue with keyboard controlling scroll bars when zoomed in.

Hi folks,

I have an accessibility quandary that I'd like some opinions on.

Imagine, if you will, the following scenario:

A low-vision learner uses Storyline's Zoom to Fit function and can only use a keyboard. 

When the screen is zoomed in to 200%, the content zooms as expected, and scroll bars appear to allow the learner to move around the enlarged screen. However, when they use Page Up, Page Down and Left/Right arrow keys to control the scrollbars, sometimes the screen scrolls and sometimes it doesn't. The only circumstances in which the learner can use these keyboard shortcuts is to either:

• Tab through the content and player buttons to return the focus to the screen content (selecting the Back to Top button doesn't help in this situation).
  • Or click on the screen with the mouse button to get it to focus correctly.

I've included a screenshot that shows the module I'm testing with this scenario. It is being tested in Google Chrome with a 200% zoom. The focus is on the content, but the keyboard buttons will not allow me to scroll unless I do one of the actions I mentioned below

Has anyone else encountered this? Do you have any advice?

• Hi Gemma,

Happy to look into this for you!

I tested the behavior on my end and can confirm that I didn't encounter any issues when using the keyboard arrow keys to move the scrollbars. 

These were my testing parameters:

• Google Chrome, updated to the latest version and zoomed to 200% 
    • Used the tab key to set the active slide focus (yellow triangle box) to the slide area
    • Used the keyboard arrow keys to move the scrollbars to view content that is not visible

Did you test the behavior on other browsers to isolate if it is only occurring in Google Chrome? And are both your Google Chrome and Storyline 360 installations updated to the latest versions? If everything is updated, would you mind testing this link to see if you can replicate the behavior here?

GemzNunn-8413ea
      Community Member

Hi Jose, 

Thanks for testing this for me. I looked at your file, and everything works as it should after testing in Chrome. Everything is up to date.

The test package was also tested in Chrome, and everything was updated, so I wonder if there's something else going on that makes it behave this way. (It's a file from a client that I've been asked to test for accessibility.) I'll need to 'pop the hood' and see what's happening in the original file. 

StevenBenassi
        Staff

Hi Gemma!

Glad to see Joe has been helping you!

I noticed that you've also connected with my teammate Mark, through a support case. Since Mark was able to replicate the same behavior you described, he's logged this issue as a software bug. I've linked this discussion to the bug report so you can be notified as soon as a fix is in place!

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry if this has been slowing you down!