Forum Discussion

BarbaraJacobs-1
Community Member
3 months ago

Tips for importing PowerPoint files into Storyline (best practices?)

I've had difficulty importing PPT files that don't require me to redo so much of the design work.  I started this post to share what I've done to help with the process, and I would so appreciate your best practices too!  There must be more I/we can do to work smarter, not harder! Thank you in advance.

Here is what I've learned so far from reading, trial, and error:

1. PPT files should be as close to the same size as possible. At minimum, widescreen to widescreen ratio.
  2. Scripts should be set up properly within the notes section, not including development notes.  Format notes as well as content, as the notes are displayed for additional information or transcript purposes.
  3. Place development notes in a text box below the slide, so when it is imported, the notes section remains intact.  We can easily delete the development notes text box.
  4. Create master slides. These make it so much easier to manage design elements.
  5. Size images to fit within the page size.  If externally linked/stored, ensure images are sized to fit on the page with little or no resizing.
  6. Name relevant (topical) graphics for easier 508 identification and accessibility notes within the development notes. I prefer a project asset library for these, but that is a preference.
  7. Place Interaction slides (pop-ups, interactions, and layers) on separate pages, if preferred, but name them something that will identify them such and not part of the page count.