Forum Discussion

GayleLaPlante
Community Member
4 months ago

Tab Interaction - restricting/guiding

I am new to using Storyline and would welcome some insights on a tab interaction.   I started with a template from the Content Library - very helpful!  I've added more layers, buttons, and Audio to the layers.   I'm stuck on two things:  1) I'd like to require that the audio file in each layer run it's full length before allowing the learner to click the button for the next layer and 2) I would like to require that all tabs be completed before moving to the next slide.   I suspect the answer lies within the Trigger or State functionality, but I haven't figured it out yet.   

BobStryker
    Community Member

Hi Gayle,

Your instincts are correct about triggers and states. The two attachments won't get you all the way there -- every build like this tends to be idiosyncratic -- but these screenshots of triggers may set you in the right direction.

For trigger 1:  You can keep a control like a tab or a Next control in a disabled state until the media on that layer has completed. 

For trigger 2: You can keep the Next control in a disabled state until visited conditions for the tabs plus a playthrough of the last viewed tab is completed.

Finally, If the participant is able to view the tabs in any order, odds are you will need triggers on every slide layer in order for the slide to function as you would like.

• Robert, thank you very much for the screenshots and advice!   Your suggestions will help me explore possibilities.