Forum Discussion

BartBeukman
Community Member
2 months ago

Restart course trigger keeps showing the results page despite having jumped to different slide in the menu

I have made new project file to test the working of the 'Restart Course' trigger.

It's not working like I have always used this button up until now, I don't think. 

See the attached .story file.

As you'll notice after pressing the button Restart the Course on the Results Slide, the navigation in the menu jumps to the first page; however it is still showing the Results screen. And the learner is stuck on the Results Slide.

Is this a new bug?

I made this screen recording to show what happens when I press the restart course button on the results screen:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/1802344d-c93a-464c-9485-68df4e8f3358/review

• Hi Everyone,

I have some exciting news to share! We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 90, we’ve included a fix for:

Restart course triggers didn't work as expected. Install the latest update and republish your course to fix the broken triggers.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

• Hi Bart, I downloaded it and viewed it in preview and it worked perfectly for me - took me back to slide 1 and results slide not on screen. Kathie

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Bart,

Its working fine for me here too.

One thing I can say is that you dont need the additional trigger "JUMP TO SLIDE 1.1". The Restart Course trigger does that automatically.

I think the problem here might be that the RESTART COURSE trigger operates a little differently than we think sometimes.

that you dont need the additional "jump to slide 1.1" trigger.
    The RESTART COURSE trigger resets everything about the course (inc variables, states, results, etc) and goes back to the first slide shown.

In other words, if you preview just the REsults slide, then clicking Restart Course will only go back to the Results slide - because that was the first one you viewed.

BartBeukman
      Community Member

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the reply.

I do know it is not neccessary to add the jump to slide trigger. So that was something I added as an extra incentive for Storyline because the restart trigger isn't showing the first slide.

However, that still didn't help. Like I showed in the recording, the navigiation does seem to jump to the first slide, but it keeps showing me the results screen.

So it does work insofar it resets the variables for example I can see the score and points being reset to the initial values.

But for some reason it will not show the correct page. Do you have an idea what could be behind this? It must be recent since the recent projects that went live here the past couple of months all have this problem.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

I see in your video what you mean Bart, however its definitely not doing that issue for me, and it sounds like "Disability team" above is also working fine.
    So my guess is its not an actual bug in Storyline, but more likely one of those wonderful quirks on our own systems we get with SL sometimes!

As a workaround, maybe you could do what I do for Resetting courses. I never use the RESTART COURSE trigger actually.

Delete the triggers on the RESTART COURSE button and replace them with:
    1. RESET RESULTS when user clicks button
    2. Jump to Slide 1.1 when user clicks button

What happens then?

BartBeukman
    Community Member

Hi Andrew,

Yes that sounds like a good workaround.

I have submitted a case to Articulate. I hope there is a fix, since I'm not looking forward to revisiting mulitiple projects to change my restart button to a workaround button...

But maybe it's unavoidable we have to. So thanks for your help in advance.

• It did not work for me either. Andrew's solution works well. To keep the Restart button, change the order of triggers as demonstrated in the attached video. Run in preview then put the triggers back as they were before.

• Bart,

Just to confirm, this behavior appears to be a bug in the latest Update 90. The Restart course trigger does not function as intended when triggered from any slide, exhibiting the same behavior observed in your file. It works correctly in previous versions of Storyline. In the attached screen recording, it's evident that the Restart course trigger function as intended in a new file and also in your file when used with an older version, highlighting a buggy behavior in the latest version.

BartBeukman
      Community Member
      Nedim Ramic

Bart,

Just to confirm, this behavior appears to be a bug in the latest Update 90. The Restart course trigger does not function as intended when triggered from any slide, exhibiting the same behavior observed in your file. It works correctly in previous versions of Storyline. In the attached screen recording, it's evident that the Restart course trigger function as intended in a new file and also in your file when used with an older version, highlighting a buggy behavior in the latest version.

Dear Nedim,

Thank you for the confirmation and your work testing this problem.

I got an answer from Articulate confirming they are looking into it.

Also got the advice to downgrade Storyline to an earlier version. Which sounds like a good suggestion looking at your findings as well.

Hope Articulate issues a fix for this soon.

Have a good day,

Bart

• Hi Everyone,

I have some exciting news to share! We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 90, we’ve included a fix for:

Restart course triggers didn't work as expected. Install the latest update and republish your course to fix the broken triggers.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

BartBeukman
      Community Member

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for looking into this and issuing a fix.

I updated the software to the latest version yesterday, and it all seems to be working as intended again.

Regards,

Bart