Forum Discussion

CherylGreen
Community Member
2 months ago

Pause/Resume Timeline triggers cause Screen Reader to start over at the beginning of the slide focus order

I am using the Pause Timeline and Resume Timeline feature in Storyline 360 for layers in which I want the base layer build to be paused while a layer is active (until it is closed). 

In these cases however, when the timeline is resumed when the layer is closed a screen reader (we are testing with NVDA) starts reading the content over again from the beginning of the focus order on the base layer, meaning that learners using a screen reader hear most of the slide repeated twice (or more, if they trigger the layer more than once).

Is there a way to correct this behavior?

• Hello C Green,

Happy to help!

We'll need to look at your project file to see how it's currently configured. Once we have a copy, we'll test it using popular screen readers to observe the reported behavior. Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case for testing? We'll delete it when we're done!

CherylGreen
      Community Member

Unfortunately I'm not at liberty to share these files.

Further research suggests to me that the behavior is the result of having set the slide to 'Reset to initial' when revisited, rather than to 'Resume saved state'. We did this to enable the 'replay' button to actually replay the slide from the beginning if selected (which seems like what a replay should do no matter what that setting is, but anyway).

I wasn't considering a timeline 'pause/resume' to be a 'revisit' either so I didn't suspect that until doing some additional digging. I have changed the setting back to 'Resume saved' and added some conditional logic to adjust for the replay issue and hope that addresses the issue.

We are awaiting further testing confirmation that it worked from our compliance team. If it didn't I may be back for more advice.

Thanks!

CGreen

• Thank you for the update, Cheryl!  Please let us know if there are any further questions after testing, we're happy to help! 

It looks like part of your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Have a great start to your week!

CherylGreen
    Community Member

Hello again - 

Sadly my attempted solution did not solve the problem.  I have opened a support case, however I am also hoping that someone on the forum might have an approach that could address the problem while the support team looks into it.

I have uploaded a generic sample file that illustrates the way my interaction is set up.

The desired screen reader behavior is:

1) Display/Read slide title and first text box.
    2) User selects Next when button enabled - then display/read content of layer (currently it is NOT reading the text box, only the close button)
    3) Select Close button - close layer and resume base layer timeline and read next text box from where it paused when the layer was opened

Testing with NVDA - the read order does not seem to follow the focus order well at all, but particularly from the point that the layer is displayed on.

Thanks for any insight on a better approach.