Forum Discussion

BOASTProgram
Community Member
5 days ago

Multiple Attempts for Ungraded Text Entry Questions (Survey)

Hello,

I have a lesson designed with ungraded text entry questions. They serve as more of a guided exercise, rather than an assignment--there are "right" answers, but we aren't trying to assess whether their response is correct, often because the response is a few sentences and there isn't a good way to automatically assess those. Instead, we provide an answer after their response and the user compares the answer they entered (and which we can see in the SCORM report) with the answer they are shown. They can then see how close they were and adjust their learning.

The issue we're running into is that because these text entry questions are ungraded, we are not able to provide multiple attempts. Sometimes users accidentally submit something they don't intend or, because completion of the lesson IS graded, they are prompted by the course instructor to go back resubmit because they didn't answer the questions (provided nonsense answers instead). At the moment the only way to resubmit is to completely restart the lesson and often that wastes a lot of time.

Is there any way I can give students multiple attempts for text entry questions? Or do I need to suggest this as a new idea (frustrating, since those take a long time to go into effect and this functionality already exists for graded questions...)?

• Are you asking for an option for the learner to go back and try again immediately, or are you asking for the option for the learner to exit the course, have you see their answer in the LMS, and have the instructor contact them so they can return to the course and answer again without having to go through the whole course?

If the former, that's pretty simple. See the attached sample. If the latter, that is considerably more complicated.