Forum Discussion

MonicaHuffma237
Community Member
3 months ago

Mac Voiceover not reading Marker contents

Hello! In testing the accessibility of a short interactive exercise using markers, I have observed that the Voiceover feature (Mac OSX) does not read the text contained within the markers. We can tab through the four markers that are there, and when given the instruction "to interact with items in this group, press Control-Option-Shift-Down Arrow", we get a chime sound but no text is read. I tried adding the contents as alt-text but still just get the chime and Voiceover won't read the text. Is this an issue with Voiceover, marker functionality, or settings? Would love some feedback on this problem. Thanks!

• Hello Monica, 

Happy to help!

I tested the behavior on my Mac and observed the same behavior. 

I was able to tab to the marker, but VoiceOver was unable to read the text inside. I opened a support case on your behalf so we can have our support engineers take a closer look at the behavior. You're in good hands, and someone from our team will be in touch shortly to help!

BrianRewerts
      Community Member

Has there been any update on this? We are also having some trouble with VoiceOver reading content in Review360 links and it could be a really big issue.

• Hi Monica,

It looks like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting with my teammate, Cleober, since your last post. Let's continue the conversation there to keep all information in one place!

• Hello! Have there been any updates around this?

My team is doing similar testing in VoiceOver, and discovered that in the web output, some of the marker text will be read in the Read All mode but not all of it. In the video example, the text that starts with Note is not auto-read.

Video example of VoiceOver marker text

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi CourtneyBrya204 & BrianRewerts!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with VoiceOver dictation of your Review 360 content!

Do you mind sharing which keys were used when navigating through the slide? Depending on the size of the Marker's text box, VoiceOver separates the elements into different 'regions'.

1. After navigating to the Marker icon with the Tab key, I used CONTROL + OPTION + SPACEBAR to activate the Marker Button.
      2. Then, I used CONTROL + OPTION + RIGHT ARROW KEY to switch focus to the text box. 
      3. Continuing with CONTROL + OPTION + RIGHT ARROW KEY allowed me to proceed through the regions of the text box, and all of the text was announced.

Please let me know if that worked for you!