Forum Discussion

TomWills
Community Member
3 months ago

End of timeline trigger issue

Hi all, very specific issue today. I have some accessibility variables at the start of my course to allow verbal mode, written mode (with grey black caption box) and written mode (with blue black caption box). The caption box starts hidden, if written is true show as greyblack, if written is true and blue is true show as blueblack, then jump to the end of the timeline so the voiceover doesn't play. It works fine apart from 1 layer. None of the animations play (correctly) the blue caption box shows (correctly) but the audio still plays.

Triggers on working layer

Triggers on NOT working layer

Had a friend look at it, we deleted the triggers, saved as a new file and re-created them but had the same problem. What makes it worse is. If written is set to true and greyblack is true (blueblack is false) the timeline correctly goes to the end. 

Stuck on this one, any help would be appreciated. 

• The triggers look good, but it's hard to tell, without seeing them in context.  If you have recreated the triggers with no change, then the problem may be somewhere else, some place you don't suspect. It may be a problem with the layer, or the slide itself, Recreate first the layer, then the slide from scratch (so you don't just copy the problem) and see if that helps.

But know that troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue. Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “lorem ipsum” text.
    • Use a browser to come to this page, and click "Add Attachment at the bottom of your post to upload.
    TomWills
    Community Member

The site keeps crashing when I post a reply - hopefully it will work this time...

Thanks Walt for your response. I have attached the .story file with all scenes and links removed apart from the impacted one. To view what should happen, view the course as a learner, skip intro, select the cog icon, select written instructions, close and then activity stream. This will show the activity stream scene as it should be. To view the broken version, go back to settings and check the "blue/black" option and revisit the same scene. The timeline is jumping to the end as the highlights and overlays that would appear if "verbal instructions" was selected do not play, but the audio file still plays on the learning performance layer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom.

Nedim
    Community Member

For me, the audio files plays only when the Verbal Instructions box is selected in the Index slide. 
    With this trigger alone, the audio file will never play:

If you add this trigger you will ensure that the audio file is played even after above trigger is executed. 

TomWills
    Community Member

Hey Nedim, thanks for looking. Did you try the GreyBlack and BlueBlack? For me the audio file plays when written is true and BlueBlack is true. The audio doesn't play if written is true and GreyBlack is true. 

Nedim
    Community Member

I tried all options (GreyBlack and BlueBlack) with the same outcome. The audio files would not play because of the aforementioned trigger "Jump to end of timeline on this slide/layer." For example, if you change this trigger to "Jump to end of timeline on this slide/layer when the timeline reaches 0m3s," the audio will play for 3 seconds and then cut off because the timeline jumps to the end right after the third second. In your setup, the audio will never play because the timeline reaches its end as soon as it starts. Your other variables and triggers appear to be working okay; it's just the part to get the audio files started that needs correction. I've attached the corrected version for you to review.

TomWills
    Community Member

Had a quick look at the file you sent, when written is true and blueblack is true, the audio played on the first layer which shouldnt be the case (im officially on leave this week so shouldnt really be looking...). Im really sorry I should have been more specific, the issue is ONLY on the Learning Performance layer. the other layers work as I would expect in the file I uploaded. Works fine written true greyblack true, but audio plays written true blueblack true on just that layer. the other layers are fine. 

T

Nedim
    Community Member

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't realize it was just about the Learning Performance layer. Here's a quick update: When I disabled the trigger "Jump to end timeline on this layer..." and ran the "BlueBlack" option, I noticed two audios playing simultaneously, despite only one being present on the layer. After further inspection, I discovered that another audio is embedded in the BlueBlack state of the "WrittenInstructionsFO 1" object.

This is why the audio plays only when this state is active. As I said before, the audio on the layer will never play;  it was the audio embedded into the object state playing all the time. To resolve this, you can generate the same TTS (Text-to-Speech) audio in the Normal state of the "WrittenInstructionsFO 1" object.

TomWills
    Community Member

Oh wow, thanks for this Nedim. I have no idea how you spotted that, or how I embedded sound into the state of the text box, but I deleted the text box, created a new one and the issue is resolved. Thank you so much for taking the time!!!

Tom.