Forum Discussion

michealosulliva
Community Member
4 months ago

Corrupt .story file

Hi All

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

I am working with a client on a number of separate projects. I have delivered 3 modules to them containing a zipped SCORM file and the native .story files via WeTransfer. The first couple of modules have been received without an issue - the SCORM files have been loaded on to their LMS and the .story files on their SL s/w. These files are around 500 Megs. The third file is showing an error message (attached) - this file is around 4.65 Gigs. They have all been created on the same version of SL. Is the size of the file causing this problem? I have never had to deliver a single file of this size to a client, and I haven’t encountered this type of problem before.

Thanks in advance.

• The issue you're experiencing with your Articulate Storyline (.story) file appears to be related to its size, which is quite large at approximately 4.65 GB. Many systems, including Learning Management Systems (LMS) and software applications like Articulate Storyline, have limitations on the size of files they can handle. Transmitting such large files, especially via platforms like WeTransfer, can occasionally lead to issues such as corruption or incomplete downloads due to network instability or timeout errors Kynect
    Verify the maximum file size limitations for both the LMS where the SCORM files are uploaded and the Articulate Storyline software where the .story files are opened. If possible, consider breaking down the project into smaller, more manageable modules or chunks. Use file compression techniques to reduce the overall size of the .story file before transferring it. This can be done using tools like WinZip, 7-Zip, or macOS's built-in compression utility.  Instead of WeTransfer, consider using alternative file transfer methods that may be more robust with large files, such as FTP (File Transfer Protocol) or cloud storage solutions that offer direct sharing links. 

michealosulliva
      Community Member

Yes no problem

Michael O’Sullivan

Digital Technology Training
      C: +44 (0)7802 866807
      Digitaltechnologytraining.com

• in such a case, i would additionally pack the storyline files into a zip* - if the file can be unpacked again after sending, the .story file should not have been damaged during transport

* in extreme cases, additionally with a password (then virus scanners can no longer destroy the file)

michealosulliva
      Community Member

Thanks Jürgen good idea - it’s appreciated.

Sent from Outlook for iOS