Forum Discussion

ChristaNovel637
Community Member
3 months ago

Closed Caption Text Has Shadow

I used text-to-speech using the slide notes for a prototype in Storyline 360 (current update). All of the closed captions have this awful text shadow that I don't seem to be able to eliminate (see attached screenshot). 

I have gone to the player>colors & effects>closed captions and adjusted the font, text color, background color, font size, and position, but there is nowhere in there to adjust the text shadow. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to eliminate this without rebuilding the whole file? Thanks!

• Hi SteveFlowers-75

Thanks for testing on your end and sharing that you are also experiencing this. Our team has identified this functionality as a bug. We'll be sure to update this thread with any news and updates on this so you are all in the loop. 

Have a great start to your day!

• Hi Jose - I was able to replicate the issue by changing the text and background color. Make the text color dark and the background light. The shadow appears dark, doubling up the text color. Chonky.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Susan, 

Happy to check this out for you!

I tried to replicate the behavior using the default formatting of captions generated by the text-to-speech feature and could not observe any shadows underneath the text. 

Would you mind sharing more details regarding any changes that you made to the default formatting of the text to help us with our investigation? Additionally, please share a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case so I can compare the difference between your captions and mine. We'll delete it when we're done testing!

• Mine has the same and it's super difficult to read. I don't like it and I can't figure out how to remove it. Also, this is something new that is happening. It's never been like that before. 

Nedim
    Community Member

Create a trigger  "Execute JavaScript when the timeline starts on this slide," and try using this small JavaScript code:

const addCSS = css => document.head.appendChild(document.createElement("style")).innerHTML=css;
    addCSS(".caption p {text-shadow: none !important;}")

• Hi Christa,

Thanks for reaching out and detailing what you're seeing with your closed captions. I'm happy to help troubleshoot!

• Is this an issue with all closed caption files or a specific one?
    • Is this happening during preview mode and in the published output?
    • If viewing the published video file, is it on your local computer or an online hosting service

Lastly, if you're willing to share your file with us, I'd be happy to take a closer look to see what's going on. You can upload it here or share it privately in support case.

ChristaNovel637
      Community Member

Sorry for the slow response. Notifications about this thread wound up in my junk mail folder. Someone from Articulate opened a case for me. The issue hasn't resolved, but it is not as terrible with certain font/background colors, so I'm just sticking with those.