Forum Discussion

CaitlinBaxendal
Community Member
3 months ago

(Bug) Blend mode on animated gif causes Storyline Preview to crash

Hi all,

I'm not sure I can share the exact gif, because it's a company asset and not mine (Sorry) but when I change the blend mode and try to preview it, it crashes Storyline. I assume this is just because the blend mode function is struggling to keep up with the gif format, but maybe if this is true the option could be removed? I was a little heartbroken, I thought it was quite cool if it would work!

• Hi Caitlin, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue.

Any form of crashing in Storyline 360 isn't normal. If you're already working locally when editing your course, try repairing Storyline 360 to see if this fixes the problem. 

If the issue persists, please make a quick Peek 360 recording of what's happening so we can test it. We'll need to check if the problem is caused by a specific type of GIF or if all GIFs are affected.  

Let me know how it goes!

• A coworker of mine tested it as well, and it did break. I'm sure any gif (maybe larger than a very small one?) would break using this behaviour?

I will do a Peek if that's needed for it to warrant investigation though.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Caitlin, 

I've attached a sample project file with a GIF. I published and previewed the course after modifying the blend mode value and I did not observe any crashes occur. Would you mind testing my file to see if the behavior is isolated to the GIFs you are using? 

If the issue only happens with your GIFs, please open a case with our support team here so we can take a closer look at why they are causing Storyline 360 to crash.