Forum Discussion

JulieCavalla452
Community Member
3 months ago

What am I missing with my variables and trigger?

Hello, I am mostly self-taught and building a new course, and... I need help.

In my project, I'm trying to show Layer G, only after layers A to F have been visited, and I cannot, for the life of me, spot where I'm going wrong with this, I must be skipping a step without knowing.

What am I working with ?

I have a main slide with objects on it. Each object has a trigger to briefly show a layer, from layer A to layer F. On layers A, B, C, D, E & F, I put a true/false variable : it sets each variable to True when the timeline of the layer starts.

I put a button on my main slide, with the trigger : "show layer G, IF variables A>F =true". 

I preview my slide. I click on all objects, hopefully toggling all my variables to "true". I click on the button. Nothing.

Can I somehow track, while previewing, whether or not the variables switch to "true" ?

I'd be very thankful if you had any idea how I can go about this. I usually circumnavigate variables in my projects, but they're useful and it's getting ridiculous.

• What is the actual trigger - The "IF variables A>F =true" sound like conditions. Is the trigger action when Variable changes? 

Is this a slide you can share?

• Hey :) Would you be able to post an image of your trigger for your "Layer G" so I can have a look at how you have set it up? 

In terms of testing while in preview, you could set up a textbox with a variable reference for each of the A-F variables. With a blank text box, you can click Insert > Reference and choose your variables. This will show you them in real time :)

• Thank you both - I tested with a button as a trigger. Sadly, I can't share images of the project.

Sam's help with inserting variable reference really did it! I was only missing this one bit of info, and being now able to track what's active and what isn't, I was able to troubleshoot this. This info is really hard to find in official documentation on Storyline. Being self-taught has its (more or less embarrassing) ups and downs!

Thanks again for your help :)