Forum Discussion

DanielAlbarran
Community Member
3 years ago

State with multiple assets. Is it recommendable?

Hi everyone. I discovered a feature that looks very convenient for me: an object state admits more than one asset, for example:

My concern is: can this cause any problems later, (for example, states not displaying correctly)? Do you have experience with this feature? Thanks. 

• As Phil said, there may be accessibility issues. 

The other thing to consider is ease of editing. You have to go into Edit-States mode to revise the "extra" objects. You can't control them individually. 

As Hianna mentioned, adding extra objects to a state can be a great way to avoid using a Group for an interaction.

Otherwise, for non-interactive objects, I think it's easier to keep things separate. 

• Yes, this is really helpful for creating accurate buttons, for example, without having to select groups. I have not encountered problems unless you decide to add rotation or animation effects to a state. As you know, this is currently not allowed, but there is a loophole. If you cut then paste the same image on a state, you have access to these features. The problem is if you do that, but don’t actually end up using an animation or rotation on that state, you will see a flicker when playing the slide. Otherwise, adding multiple objects to a state is good. 

• You may have issues with accessibility as you can no longer control the order of objects. I would typically switch all of these off before adding to the state and then add all text to alt text in that one object

• States are the most annoying thing to maintain, change and fix. 
    It's less obvious when things break or don't work where the problem lies.

States are useful for things like buttons.  For more complex things I advise that if you can use other approaches like layers or groups do so.