Forum Discussion

JoannaMiller-b6
Community Member
4 years ago

Selective display/filter function in Storyline

Hi, seeking ideas here. I'd like to create a slide that's like a visual spreadsheet, showing data (objects) with filter options.

• For example, let's say I have 20 objects and 4 filter buttons (B1, B2, B3, Clear).
  • On click button 1 (we'll call it "Everything round"),  objects 1-15 are highlighted. Then click Clear button.
  • On click button 2 ("Everything square"), objects 16-20 are highlighted. Then click Clear button. 
  • On click button 3 ("Everything green"), objects 1-3, 7, 10, 18, and 19 are highlighted. On click button 1, "Everything green" AND "Everything round" are highlighted (i.e., objects 1-3, 7 and 10).

Any ideas on how to do this? 

Thanks!

J

• Hi, Joanna,

If you're highlighting the data by changing states of each object, you'd need variables to track which buttons are clicked (i.e., which filters are selected), plus a whole lotta triggers that change the states based on the values of those variables. 

However, there's a simpler method:

• Add highlighting via 3 layers: one layer for each filter.
      • For example, if the items are laid out like a spreadsheet, the layers could have rectangle borders that highlight the appropriate cells. Or you could put checkmarks next to the items. Whatever makes sense for the design.
    • Show a given layer when its button is clicked.
    • Be sure to set the Slide Layer Properties so showing a layer does not hide the other layers. 
    • For the Clear button, add triggers to hide all 3 layers. 
  • Thanks, Judy! The variables + triggers effort was making my head spin, so I love your suggestion of using layers. I'll give it a try!