Forum Discussion

BrandonKang
Community Member
7 years ago

Rise: Multiple Font Styles Within a Text Block

Consider this a feature request. I would like the ability to specify multiple fonts or styles within a single text block. Frequently, when writing technical training materials, I need to reference information that has to be used precisely. For example:

"When a request to the backup system takes a long time to load, a record is written to the slow_load_time table in the troubleshooting database."

I want to make "slow_load_time" and "troubleshooting" use a different font to highlight that this is a precise name of a system on a computer system. By allowing me to use a monospace font like Courier New, the technical nature of that particular piece of text is emphasized. This lets me communicate in a subtle way to the learner the nature of that particular piece of text better than the block's variable width font with bolding and italics does.

• Hi Ivan! I've also replied to you here.

You can try using Media Block > Code Snippet for code you need to show or for a specific monospace style.

We're currently tracking requests for the ability to replace fonts inline using the formatting toolbar. If we make any changes to this we'll let you know!

IvanBelash
      Community Member

Hi Renz,

I am aware of the Code Snippet block, but it is not applicable if I need to put some CLI command within text on a tab or checkbox list or knowledge check block. That is why it is essential to have monospace formatting.

IvanBelash
    Community Member

Dear Articulate team,

When monospaced font formatting will be introduced in Rise?

I am looking forward to seeing this feature implemented.

TonyKay
    Community Member

Yes this would be a huge feature. Many of our courses/content developers cannot be moved to use Rise in its current form. We use constant references to code inline and the code block whilst useful does not work well for examples like:

Use the ansible command to test connectivity. 

Real world simple example 

Also a more powerful snippet block would be nice with a colorizer, optional line numbers etc so we can make code more readable and reference lines by number.

IvanBelash
    Community Member

Please please please introduce monospace font formatting! I suggest using "JetBrains Mono" font in first place, followed by Consolas and Courier.

• Is there any plan yet to add inline monospace fonts for code? This is essential for my team as well. 

• In Figma, it's possible to style parts of the text within single text layer with a different library text styles, which is very useful if you have a long text with many subheadings, bolded parts etc).

PhilFoss
    Community Member

Just realized, you can override the css variable in the inline style, like so:

<span style="--font-family-body: monospace;">The future is now</span>