Forum Discussion

MatthewKnight-9
Community Member
3 months ago

Quiz Scores not Calculating

Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I'm having some frustrations with my Articulate storyline quiz.

Unfortunately, I have found myself in a dead end. I have created an Articulate training package that has 2 separate quizzes within. The first one is a straightforward quiz that works perfectly fine.
The second is a "choose your own adventure" branching type quiz. It has 4 different scenarios with 3 choices per question that have assigned points to each choice. There is then consequences to each choice, but it then converges to the next scenario.
I have set up results slide but every time I run through it, it doesn't add up the total points or calculate the percentage at all. I have looked at the set up and gauged it from an existing package, but I can't seem to find the problem.
Every time I test it and navigate through the answers the results slide says 0% and 0 points

I've spent a lot of time on this, and I want it to work.

Any tips, or pointers or directing me to a video would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi Matt,

Is it possible you could post the project so we could see how it is programmed?

Have you used question slides for all the slides where you want pointes recorded?

Have you made sure there was a point value associated with each question slide?

With the results slide selected, have you gone to the quiz settings at the top and made sure that the passing percentage, etc. is set correctly?

You may have checked this already, but they are areas where I would start to look.

• I would love that.

I believe I have checked that stuff. However this is my first articulate project.

I know im missing something and I know its probably simple, but its driving me crazy.

Please find the project attached.

• Hi Matt,

I think I have your solution.

When you create question slides, they can record correct or incorrect answers. You had that set up correctly. However, in order for the e-learning module to actually record those answers, the learner must be able to select a choice and the interaction must be submitted. If you notice at the bottom of your question slides, there is a trigger that says “Submit Button – Submit Pick One 1 when the user clicks submit.” One problem in your module is that you are bypassing the Submission of the user’s choice by inserting hotspots that jump to the next slide. Your question slides are set up to record which text box the user clicks on. Your hotspots cover up those text boxes. Therefore, when the learner clicks on the hotspot they are not actually clicking on the text box to make a selection but instead the user is navigated away to the next slide, and there is no submission button that has been selected to record the results.

If you take a look at the attached file, I have modified part of your module, specifically slide 7.2. I moved the hotspots out of the way so that the learner can click on the text boxes to make a choice. I also modified the “Selected” state of the text boxes to turn the text green to give a visual indicator to the learner that the text they clicked on has been changed to “Selected.” Then, I added a trigger that says, “Submit Pick One 1 when the user clicks Continue.” This allows the user to 1) select their answer by clicking on the text box, and 2) record their answer by having the interaction submitted. Upon doing this, the results slide now shows points recorded from the user interaction on that particular slide.

I recommend modifying your question slides and navigation and utilizing the layers on the question slides. Layers are a good way of putting the results of choices on question slides. You can take the results of your learner's choices and put them on different layers instead of on different slides. That way, when the learner clicks “Submit” or “Continue” you can have the result of their interaction recorded and whether or not the answer is correct will automatically take them to the Correct or Incorrect layer.

You can build the course how you want, whether with layers or with slides, but if the user cannot actually click on the choice to make a selection and there is no submission of the interaction, no points will actually get recorded and the results slide will show zero points.

Let me know if I did not explain something well enough.

MatthewKnight-9
      Community Member

That is so helpful and makes sense.

I am eternally grateful.

I appreciate your time and energy.

I was so frustrated by this issue. The solution has made me very happy.

Thanks again.

MK