Forum Discussion

MaartenTumme326
Community Member
31 days ago

One rise file - multiple languages

Hey all, 

We have several Rise files each in a different language. We would like to have one Rise file / one SCORM with a language selection. Is this possible? 

Idea; Would it be possible to create a language selection screen in Storyline and link to different Rise files in that way? Any other ideas (pros/cons)? :) Lemme know.

Thanks in advance.

• There are already many discussions about this topic on the Forum. Here's my standard answer. 

Both Rise and Storyline limit you to one language for the Text Labels (that is, the messages the system displays, such as the warning if you click the Submit button before selecting a response to a quiz question). So if you combine multiple languages into one project, some folks will see info in a language they didn't choose.

Here's the best solution I've seen for translated courses:

• Create a separate source (.story file or Rise project) for each language.
    • Publish each as a SCORM package.
    • Have someone with the proper coding skills wrap all those packages into one big SCORM package, with a starting page that allows the user to select a language. Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations about who does that sort of programming. Perhaps someone else will chime in with suggestions.

Another option I've seen also involves publishing a separate SCORM package for each language. Those are then bundled into a curriculum within an LMS, with the settings adjusted so that the user only has to complete one of the courses to finish the curriculum. Of course, being able to do this depends on the LMS.

MaRe
    Community Member

You can create a section for each language (Shift + Enter) and then the content as subsection for every language. On top create a section with a button stack, name it with languages and link every button to the correct section.

Then I would hide the navigation under ‘Theme’ and tick ‘Hide cover page’ when exporting.
    This way, learners start on the page with the buttons, choose their language and consume ‘their’ content. As the side navigation is hidden, they do not see the other language sections.

Maybe a workaround for you.