Forum Discussion

TeodoraSTRECHIE
Community Member
10 days ago

Modifying a course from a shared link

Hello everyone 😄

New to Articulate, so I am in doubt how can I modify a course that was shared with me?

Apparently this is the only trace of the course that we own and the former person in charge is not longer available.

Thank you for your insights!

LOrealB
    10 days ago

So, you're done. Let the learning leader you're supporting know you're unable to modify the SCORM file, and you're not the owner of the story file, (so you don't have editor permissions) so if you're not able to obtain the original file, you'll have to recreate the course in your own RISE account, and update it with an updated link. Thinking "outside the box," if you can contact the owner of the file, and request that it be "shared" with you, you'll be able to edit the file. : ) Any chance you can reach out to the owner via LinkedIn and let him/her know the predicament you're experiencing?

LOrealB
    Community Member

Teodora, Not to worry! You're in the best place to receive all the help you need. : ) What is your goal for the modification? What level of Instructional Design is the story file; what level of design is your client or project manager / learning leader seeking? Simply... Level 1: Passive learning. Level 2: Multimedia and basic text and video interaction. Level 3: Sophisticated interaction that teaching complex concepts. Level 4: Simulation and gamification. I'm happy to mentor you through the update / modification. If you want to upload the file, I'd be happy to take a look, discuss your plans for modifications, and help you get started. 

TeodoraSTRECHIE
      Community Member

Thank you so much for your reply!

The only modification that we need is an access link at the and of the quiz. No structural modification is required to the course and before leaving, the owner shared a link of it.

I'm not sure what a level of instructional design means, but I would say that it's a minimum interaction one since is has a passive learning followed by a quiz. Hope that's clear enough!

LOrealB
      Community Member

I'm able to review. Give me a minute. : )

LOrealB
    Community Member

Ok, I've taken the course, but did not pass, so I'm going to re-take it, so I can see if the "access" link works for me. Regardless, if you've passed the course, but the link does not work, it's likely that the "access" link needs updating. Have you confirmed that the "access" link to the system is accurate / current? It might be outdated. Do you need authorization to obtain the most current link to include in the course? Check and see if it's broken, or accurate while I complete the course again. *Note: The access link appears to be the link that learners will click to send an email to request access to the PromoMats system. 

TeodoraSTRECHIE
      Community Member

Thank you very much for the time that you put into it!

The access link is indeed outdated but since I'm not the owner of the course I cannot modify and update it unfortunately. This is my main problem :(

LOrealB
        Community Member

So, you're done. Let the learning leader you're supporting know you're unable to modify the SCORM file, and you're not the owner of the story file, (so you don't have editor permissions) so if you're not able to obtain the original file, you'll have to recreate the course in your own RISE account, and update it with an updated link. Thinking "outside the box," if you can contact the owner of the file, and request that it be "shared" with you, you'll be able to edit the file. : ) Any chance you can reach out to the owner via LinkedIn and let him/her know the predicament you're experiencing?

LOrealB
    Community Member

My pleasure. Happy to help! What do you mean by an "access link?" Are you attempting to provide the learner with a link to access a specific resource? What do you need the learner to be able to do? I understand; passive learning. No structural modifications needed. Ok. All good. 

•  

No. Now that I think of, it wasn't very clear.

I was assigned to modify an existing learning from a https://rise.articulate.com/share/ link that the former owner shared with us. I do have access to the zip file but no .story accessible file exists in our data base. It's a Rise 360 e-learning that need to be updated but no one seems to have the original file. 

Thank you for your patience :)

LOrealB
      Community Member

Got it. No problem. I've had similar experiences. Without the original file, you might want to re-create your own duplicate file (i.e. create a new file), so that you have the story file for future updates, or scaling (i.e. modifications, upgrades and additional content)  purposes going forward. Let me take a look at the file. : ) Hang tight. The link you provided doesn't open. 

LOrealB
        Community Member

Try uploading a copy of the zip file. To create a copy of the file, right click on the file, and create a copy. Or, publish the file, and then share the URL. Are you sharing it from your RISE account dashboard? The file isn't displaying in my "Shared with me" dashboard page; we're not on the same team, no doubt. No biggie. 

LOrealB
      Community Member

The link isn't publishing: "We can't seem to find the page you're looking for. Try checking the URL to make sure it's typed correctly."

LOrealB
    Community Member

When I click the link you provided, here's the prompt I'm seeing, "We can't seem to find the page you're looking for. Try checking the URL to make sure it's typed correctly."