Forum Discussion

ShaunHolmberg
Community Member
9 months ago

Issue with Polish language formatting

I am having an issue when I add a Polish translation in the course. It looks fine when editing the course but when looking at the live version, some of the characters look strange. Has anyone found a way to fix this? In the two pictures attached you can see that the ż looks different in the live course as opposed to the editing version.

PhilFoss
    Community Member

This looks like a character encoding issue, but can you retype these characters? I assume you're pasting it in from another document. I'm able to get the ż to show up correctly after typing it in, in my course.

• I tried that.  The headings do not give an option to change font or size. It could be a browser issue. Are you using Chrome or Edge?

PhilFoss
      Community Member

I'm in Chrome and Firefox. I've tested several of the built-in fonts with Rise (you can change heading fonts in the Theme settings) and the character displays in preview mode. Note I was typing in the special character manually, not pasting from another document.

• Changing the font like you said fixed the issue with the headings and body. Is there a different setting for the sidebar menu font?

PhilFoss
      Community Member

The font in the sidebar is always Lato, there's no built-in way to change it. You could add a bit of css to change that font though, what font did you end up using that works well with the characters?

• The Be Vietnam font worked for everything but the left menu bar. All of the other font's make the special characters smaller than the other letters in the view mode.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Shaun!

Glad to see Phil has been helping you out!

As Phil shared, the sidebar font cannot be customized in Rise 360. However, our development team is tracking a feature request that would allow support for custom fonts in the sidebar menu. I've linked this discussion to the feature report and will provide updates if it makes it onto our Feature Roadmap.

PhilFoss
    Community Member

I did a screen recording showing how you can change the font in the menu navigation. In this example, I use the font that is specified as my 'body' font Inter which overrides the default font called Lato in the 'classic' Rise theme. I also debug and fix the button stack block which loads the heading font by default, instead of my body font. I'll probably do a series of these videos on typography on Rise, there are a lot of issues to address for those with sophisticated branding requirements.

CSS used in the recording:

/* change sidebar menu to correct body font */
    div.classic .nav-sidebar__outline li a {
    font-family: var(--font-family-body);
    font-weight: 400;

}

/* change butotn stack text and buttons to correct body font */
    div.blocks-button__description,
    a.blocks-button__button
    {
    font-family: var(--font-family-body);
    font-weight: 400;