Forum Discussion

JimOwen-f418d1f
Community Member
16 days ago

How to direct user via URL

I would like to create a project which either starts on a different slide or else populates a variable upon user entry, based on a URL.

The idea is to create multiple QR codes which send the user to the same course, but depending on the URL of the code, they get a slightly different experience. I don't want to create a separate course for each URL because the vast majority will be identical every time, and that will be a management headache as there may be up to a dozen of these.

Is there a way to do this using, for example, query parameters?

www.mystorylinecourse.com/story.html?myVar=1

www.mystorylinecourse.com/story.html?myVar=2

www.mystorylinecourse.com/story.html?myVar=3

etc?

JesseWu
    Community Member

What prevents you from streaming users to different scenes by selecting roles on the introductory page? 

Introduction Scene, Select the role here and direct to assigned scenes -> Parallel Scene for role A/B/C -> Shared Ending and Completion Track

All in the same project file.

• You can create a dynamic URL for each course.
    Shown how to here.
    https://community.articulate.com/discussions/discuss/qr-code-and-shorturl-generation-in-storyline/1034621

As for query parameters... yes you can use them. I actually did post about it but searching your own content in the new community is tough, so i do have trouble finding it.

In my code library i found this snippet with which you can read query params.

function getQueryVariable(variable)
    {
           var query = window.location.search.substring(1);
           var vars = query.split("&");
           for (var i=0;i<vars.length;i++) {
                   var pair = vars[i].split("=");
                   if(pair[0] == variable){return pair[1];}
           }
           return(false);
    }

/*
    Example URL:
    http://www.example.com/index.php?id=1&image=awesome.jpg

Calling getQueryVariable("id") – would return “1”.
    Calling getQueryVariable("image") – would return “awesome.jpg”.
    */