Forum Discussion

MeganHarwood
Community Member
3 months ago

Converting a gamified F2F course into eLearning

Hello everyone,

My colleagues who currently deliver an interactive, gamified instructor led course are unfortunately leaving us at the end of the year as their secondments are ending. This means we're developing all of their courses into eLearning, most of which has been relatively straight forwards. However, there is 1 course which we are scratching our heads with, but I just know there will be a fantastic solution for! The course teaches participants about child brain development, and the impacts of life events, stress, and support networks on this development. Participants draw cards to build the life experiences of their child, and depending on what they draw they are given straws, pipe cleaners, or weights to add to their "brain". This helps the participants visualise the impact of different life events on a child's brain development. This video explains the game much more clearly than I can: The Science of Early Childhood & The Brain Architecture Game (youtube.com) Skip to 4:20 for the "rules".

I'm hoping for some ideas on how we can convert this to eLearning using Articulate. We were thinking of creating a "countdown" style game (UK colleagues will know this TV show) where by the learner draws "cards" and the card combinations are predetermined with feedback to the learner. Our only concern is that there are 100's of potential combinations so we may have to "thin out" the cards available. We don't have much experience using Articulate, and usually hang out in Adapt so would greatly appreciate any input from the experts. 

Thank you very much for reading and any responses 

• I am positive this can be built in storyline. I don't think the number of cards and combinations matters as I suspect you have common themes, it comes down to what values you are tracking and decisions are made off of that.

You may need to simplify the brain building so if you get a start you fit it in a predetermined place, and same with weights (to be fair if I saw it correct the weight goes pin the highest point) then you create a calculation of straws vs weights to work out the topple point.

Looks like a really exciting thing to build.

MeganHarwood
      Community Member

Thank you Phil, really appreciate your response and enthusiasm. Lots of people have told me "it can't be done" so I'm determined to make it a fantastic course!