Forum Discussion

ClaireJarrell
Community Member
7 years ago

Rise and JAWS reader

Are Rise courses compatible with JAWS reader?

• Welcome to the community, Claire!

Great question 🌟Our ultimate goal is to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), in which we're currently working on full-screen reader support in Rise. You can keep a pulse on all the latest features we're working on via our What's New page.

So far in Rise, we've increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, added keyboard-accessible navigation ...and we're working hard to add more accessibility features. Stay tuned, and let us know if you have any other questions!

ClaireJarrell
        Community Member

Do you know when they are hoping to accomplish this? Do you have an estimated date? What workaround do you recommend for screen readers? Are there features to avoid that will not be picked up by the JAWS reader? 

NicolaRoy
    Community Member

Hi, Should tabs interactions work with JAWS software? I've looked through the various accessibility threads but I can't see any mention of it. My module uses both Rise tabs interactions plus a storyline block tabs interaction and neither are working with JAWS. The user tells me that it reads the tab name but none of the content. Any advice? And is there a definitive list of interactions that do work with JAWS? Thanks, Nicola

Renz_Sevilla
      Staff

Hi Nicola! Great questions!

Though Rise 360 is still working hard on being more accessible, screen readers should be able to navigate to the content of the tab interaction. Using a screen reader to read per line, it should go through the tab titles first, and then the following content section of an active tab.

Could you please let us know which version of JAWS and which Browser you had trouble with? You can share your details and your course files with us by opening up a case here. Our support engineers will assist and test along with you!

• Hi Claire,

I do not have a timeline to provide. In the meantime, you may wish to utilize Storyline 360 or Studio 360 for your courses as the documentation that Katie shared above displays.

There are some great tips in this article.

ClaireJarrell
      Community Member

Hi is Rise compatible with the JAWS reader yet? 

• Thanks for checking in, Claire! We're still working on full screenreader support, but we're not there yet. We'll keep you posted!

• We would love to be able to use rise to develop training, any news on JAWS accessibility?

• Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for checking in. We don't have a timeline or news on JAWS screen reader support just yet. When we know more, we'll pass it along to you!

Crystal-Horn
      Staff

Hi there, Jennifer. No update yet. Our plans are to meet WCAG 2.1 by the end of 2020. We'll let you know when we've got more to share!

ReginaldHodge
        Community Member

Hello Crystal,

I am wondering if there are any updates regarding screen reader support in 2021?

Best

LeaSAgato
      Staff

Hi Barbara, we're working on making quote blocks more accessible in Rise, so please stay tuned for updates!

• Thanks, Lea!  What about the interactive blocks, like the Process and Tabs interactions?  Are they JAWS compatible yet?