Forum Discussion

JenniferDanzo
Community Member
5 days ago

Preventing learner from clicking multiple boxes at once.

Hello everyone!

I am working on my first e-learning course with Articulate.  I am struggling to figure out how to keep the learner from clicking on more than one box at a time (the boxes contain text-to-speech voice-overs).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  There are 3 cases where I have similar boxes in this module.

I would love suggestions, here is the link to Review for you to see it! Module 2

Thanks so much.

JesseWu
    Community Member

How about:

Create empty layers, only containing your voice-over on those layers.

• Base Layer:
      • Trigger: Show Layer 1 when Box 1 is clicked.
      • Trigger: Show Layer 2 when Box 2 is clicked.
    • Layer 1 (Box 1):
      • Property: Prevent the user from clicking on the base layer.
      • Trigger: Play media when timeline starts
      • Trigger: Hide this layer when timeline ends.
      JenniferDanzo
      Community Member

I guess I am too new to have worked with Layers ... Will have to try to figure that out if you think that is the best solution.  Thank you!

JesseWu
        Community Member

Not sure if it is the best. I don't have the software at hand to explore, so it is just the first thing comes to my mind.🙂

• I might suggest "states" on the boxes, controlled by variables (or "if" logic in the triggers) to restrict which box is "active". The "Disabled" state is one of the standard states for objects in SL

JenniferDanzo
      Community Member

Thank you ... I do have the state of the box change to visited after it plays the voice over assigned to it.  I will have to investigate the "if" triggers to restrict which box is active.

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

FYI: Visited is a built-in state. Any object with a Visited state will automatically change to Visited state when it is clicked. Triggers that duplicate that built-in functionality can actually cause problems. 

• If you are inexperienced, the layers is a less complicated solution than trying to figure out the triggers and states.