Forum Discussion

JohnKozlovic
Community Member
12 days ago

Issue with variables and triggers

I have had a look through the current list of variable and trigger oriented posts and can't quite find a similar issue or resolution to my problem. I have a few slides with several buttons which then lead to several layers. I have created variables (true/false) which are connected to the buttons and would like an action where an 'additional information' button shows (changed from hidden to normal) when all variables (button clicks) are true. I can see that all of the criteria is met (variables all changed to true), but the additional info button does not show. I also have several button clicks (connected to variables) in layers which I would like to show the next button once all have been 'clicked', but can't get the button to show (change to 'normal').

Essentially, I would like to ensure that all buttons are 'clicked' on the slides before the learner can proceed. Can't see what I am doing wrong.

Messy sample attached (practice file). Slide 1 has 'tip' buttons with variables connected that don't respond to the triggers/actions.

Appreciate any assistance.

• The "Additional Information" button appears on both slides in the file you uploaded. 

I noticed there is a disabled trigger to change show that button when all the Topic buttons are Visited, with the conditions that all of the associated variables = True. Here's the problem with that trigger: when the final button changes to Visited, the final variable isn't True yet. Thus, the trigger will never run. 

There are different ways to get around that issue. For example, I like to use a blank "programming" layer that has the trigger with the necessary trigger. Show that layer (with its properties set so it doesn't hide other layers) whenever one of the required buttons is clicked. This is demonstrated in the attached file. 

As for your "Next" button: On your first slide, there's only a trigger to change it to Normal when the first variable changes. But there's no trigger to change it when the second variable changes. Thus, if the user clicks the button on the left first, the Ob_Ad_2 variable won't be true yet. (The Next button will appear if the user clicks the button on the right first.) 

In any case, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. You don't need variables at that point. Just adjust your NEXT button when the buttons on that extra layer are Visited. 

The same fix applies to the second slide.

By the way, you don't need a trigger to change a button to Visited when it is clicked. Any object with a Visited state will change to Visited when clicked. That functionality is built in. Here's more info: PRIMER: Take advantage of built-in states | Articulate - Community 

JohnKozlovic
      Community Member

Thank you for your reply. The attached sample did contain several attempts at getting the triggers to work, with a few that I should have deleted. My main issue is on the 1st slide with the 7 'tip' buttons (which appear once the Topic buttons have been clicked)  not showing the 'Additional Information' button once they have all been clicked. I have variables 'Ob_tip_1', Ob_tip_2', etc. which all activate and change to true, but I can't get the 'Additional Information' button to change to Normal state once the 7 variables have changed.

My goal is to have the user click the topics which reveals information via the layers and contains the 'Tip' buttons, and once all tips have been shown, show the 'Additional Information' button. Then they can go to that layer, select the 2 buttons there which then shows the next button. The user should then still be able to go back to the other layers and have the 2 bottom buttons show.

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

The way to show the "Additional Information" button after all the Tip variables are True is demonstrated in the file I attached to my earlier reply, which also gives an overview of what I did.