Forum Discussion

MattBooth-db616
Community Member
3 years ago

Is there a way to link blocks together to move them around?

sometimes the way i build modules is not liner and requires i move multiple blocks around.

Is it possible to group say a Heading and an image together so they can both be moved up or down at the same time?

Is there also a way to copy a block to another topic within the same module without literally copying and pasting the content?

EricEtkin
    Community Member

Thanks, but unless I'm understanding incorrectly, that sort of just switches one monotonous task (duplicating and moving each block independently) for another (opening up the block templates and individually selecting each block over and over). 

Unless I'm missing something? Can you template groups of blocks? 

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

As the link that Karl provided says, you can add multiple blocks to a Block Template. In fact, that's how you'd move blocks to another lesson or another course. 

The downside is you need to go back and delete the blocks from their original location. I wouldn't do that until you're sure you got all of the appropriate blocks where they belong.

EricEtkin
    Community Member

Me too. This would be extraordinarily useful since I'm frequently duplicating HEADER>TEXT BLOCK>VIDEO>ATTACHMENT blocks multiple times in a lesson. For example... my current lesson has 7 of these thematically grouped blocks... that's 28 individual block moves, using a clunky page-down arrow. 

Having to copy one block, then slowly arrowing each block downwards is not only time consuming but incredibly disorienting. Heck, even being able to DRAG a block down instead of that goofy page down arrow would be a 1000% improvement if you can't give us grouping.

• Hi I am just commenting to also say I would like to know when we can move multiple blocks at a time. Thank you.

TheodeJong
    Community Member

Has this been added as a feature already? It would be very useful.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Theo,

Thanks for reaching out!

Block Templates are still the way to go if you need to quickly reuse a combination of blocks across multiple lessons or courses. You can check out how to use Block Templates and other ways to reuse content here:

Hope this helps!

TheodeJong
        Community Member

Hi,

I know about that ability. But I was referring to the option of selecting multiple blocks and moving them to a different part of the same lesson. That would be great.

Cheers,

Theo

KarlMuller
    Community Member

Hi Matt,

There isn't a way to drag more than one block up and down within a stack of Lesson blocks at the same time.

Regarding your second question, you can use Block Templates to copy any combination of blocks from one Lesson to another.